Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Pledge of Allegiance


Hey if I look tired - it's because I am!!
My eldest son, Will Jr, has just started his second week of school in Georgia. He is absolutely loving it and is finding it quite an adventure learning heaps of new things and making many new friends.
When I asked him what he liked the most about school... he said, "Everything Dad, everything Dad!" I was a little stumped and said, "Really?" He looked at me for a second and said, "Well Dad I miss my friends, but I'm making new ones, but there is one things though that's weird... Dad why do we have to stare at the flag?"
I burst out laughing. I couldn't help it, I just had a mental picture of Will standing confused and berwildered there in class each morning as all the other kids put their hands on their hearts reciting the 'Pledge of Allegiance.'
Anyway it's a great opportunity to teach him about loyalty, respect, commitment and most of all how God is the only High King over men, whether we choose to achnowledge that or not. He raises up leaders and governments for His purposes and by His grace to provide governance for the people and to punish the wicked.
It's also a great opportunity to teach my boy that from time to time God can and will use 'Presbyterians', even Presbyterian Ministers!!
For all our Aussie mates out there - here's the pledge...
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
It should be recited by standing at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. When not in uniform men should remove any non-religious headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and render the military salute.
Title 4, Chapter 1, Section 4, US Code, http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/04C1.txt

No comments: